Tuesday, August 11, 2009

question of the week

for the week of 08.10.09

A client with pneumococcal pneumonia was started on antibiotics 16 hours ago. During a nurse’s initial evening rounds the nurse notices a foul smell in the room. The client makes all of these statements during their conversation. Which one would alert the nurse to a complication of the therapy?

1. "I have a sharp pain in my chest when I take a breath."
2. "I have been coughing up foul-tasting, brown, thick sputum."
3. "I have been sweating all day all over my body"
4. "I feel hot off and on especially when I lie in bed."

1 comment:

a.ha said...

The correct answer is number: 2

Smeltzer, S.C., Bare, B.G., Hinkle, J., & Cheever, K.H.
Brunner-Suddarth's textbook of medical surgical nursing (11th ed.).(2008)
Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.